For our english speaking friends, here’s some words of wisdom from one of our athlete and soon to be coach extraordinaire:
I want to share some of my thoughts on my experience in the competition context.
I’ve lived a journey that’s made me who I am today. I am afraid of nothing. I give 100% to everything I do. I fail over and over because I live in the limits of my present ability. I challenge myself whenever I can. I learn something everyday because everyone is important and I can learn from anyone. I continue to practice because I know I’m not perfect. I take risks by trusting my instincts. That is how the impossible happens.
What has any of this got to do with competition you might ask?
Well, it wasn’t always like this for me. It’s through Competition, where I’ve tested myself over and over that I’ve achieved these things. I’ve grown over this journey, through tears and smashing tennis rackets out of frustration, through injury and shrinking away from performance out of fear, through failure and winning. I’ve lived every emotion imaginable through playing in the field and getting out there in the action, as well as sitting on the side and supporting my fellow teammates. Competition is a humbling experience.
Over the years, since the age of 5, I have participated in many competitions, in many walks of life. From gymnastics, to tennis, grass hockey, athletics, climbing, bouldering, art and now Cross-Fit. From each experience I learn something new.
When I participate in a competition I’m not just in the competition of my sport, but I’m in the playing field of my life.
Competition reveals who you are.
- You see how you react to stress.
- You see how you solve problems
- You see how you react to the unpredictable and unknown elements which can happen at every and any moment.
- You see how you react to others around you.
- Your patience, determination and perseverance is tested on many levels, through all manner of circumstances.
- You are in a context which shows you to what degree you are prepared to step out of your comfort zone, and take risks, and do things you have never done before.
- You are presented face to face with your fears, and weather you fold and give up or weather you stand tall and fight through pain and discomfort, and brave it into the unknown.
- In the competition context you are presented with an opportunity to discover who you really are, and what your limits are mentally and physically.
This is a valuable and unique environment, where you are a warrior in the fight with yourself, amongst the rest. It is an environment that rewards the strongest contender. That is: the more you put in, the more you discover and the more you get back from the experience. Competition context is a place of self discovery, camaraderie, teamwork, friendship, happiness, pain, discomfort, reward and community.
What happens on competition day is in your face: 100% THE REAL DEAL, an « in the moment » experience, whatever you create it to be. The best or the worst. Competition is there for anybody who dares to step into the arena of their life and see what they are made of.
At the end of the day, all that counts above everything else, is that you lived, and gave it your all.